Sunday, April 16, 2017

The definition and use of word "Ah & Mi" "អា និង មី"

Hello everyone! Today I will try to explain you about two  common rude words in Khmer language. It can works for in very rude way and it also works for good meaning. When you come to Cambodia, you will often hear people say it. But if you don't understand those words, try not to say them because it can cause argument.   

Ah (អា) :this word can be used  with only animal and thing which mean "You or Mr.". But, sometimes this word is used to say to people who has younger age than you are.
  1. Use with male which can make very rude meaning. For example, I want to call my younger brother who names Vibol. So I say Ah Vibol that means Mr. Vibol. Note: don't say this word to people who has old age than you do.
  2. Use with female makes acceptable and polite meaning. The word "Ah" can be become very polite in speaking. you can use it for polite way when you call name of a girl and woman who has younger age than you do. For example. I want to call Ms. Frida, who is younger than I am and she is close to me. So I need to say Ah Frida. When I say this, the word Ah Frida is very polite and acceptable.
Mi (មី) : the word Mi is used with only female. This word is very rude and impolite. We use it to say about animal only. For instance, I want to show you a female cow names Brown. I will say Mi Brown to you. In the case I say it [the word Mi] to human, I will get trouble and people will say I am very rude guy. Just remember, don't say this word to call girl or woman.

No comments: